Tuesday, January 8, 2013

It’s the little things




Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs, places self-actualization on the top of its pyramid. The theory being that we cannot move onto the next level without satisfying its predecessor.  For those unfamiliar with the pyramid, here it is:


With my contract coming to a close in Korea, I managed to have a bit of extra time on my hands. Coupled with a well-timed National Holiday for their election (by the way we should do that in Canada, and make voting a requirement), I managed to sneak out of Seoul for a couple days and enlighten my life while meeting some great new friends. 

Onto the KTX I departed Seoul for the gyeongsangbuk-do province. Located in literally the middle of South Korea. My guardian angel from Singapore was in the country and invited me to visit an orphanage.  It was this experience that opened my eyes.

The orphanage hosts 120 children from infant to 18 years old.  The piano teacher and her brother picked myself and a friend up from the train station. After a bit of chatting it was time to go to the baby room.  The babies have just finished napping and eating and ready to play. It was perfect timing to arrive.  

In a fan fair of pandemonium the children had new people to play with. The three of us were mobbed. The most exciting thing for them was my height and my hat. Here is the excitement of one child as he decided the best way for me to wear my cap.  The animation in their eyes and joy of having new people around to play building blocks with was very rewarding.  

Before taking off I spent a bit of time with some of the slightly older kids (about 3-10). One kid took a real shine too me. The curiosity was fashioned around my facial hair and massive Adam’s apple.  The joys of fun, were followed by tears when I had to leave. The adventure made my day and those kids left an impact on my life.







No comments:

Post a Comment