Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Is this real life?



We can all take different approaches to every situation; some can lead to untold stress, a feeling of hopelessness or on the positive side a series of enlightenment. The end of last week raised many stressful feelings, but in the end I refused to let it keep me down. 

Thursday and Friday were precisely days that could go either way. Starting out with 3 castings and by midday there were 5.  3 castings were for higher fashion (2 shows and a magazine) and 2 were commercial.

I am not sure if I have ever enlightened you to the two primary types of models. First there is high fashion, these are the ultra skinny, tall, and possess very unique looks. These models are usually associated with Milan, Paris and Tokyo.  High fashion models work mostly magazines, fashions shows and big name designers like Louis Vuitton and Prada. 

Contrast to high fashion is the type of model I am. Commercial models are more normal looking.  Not quite as tall, much more muscular, and often referred to as being esthetically attractive. Trying to explain this as modestly as I can, but commercial models are referred to as handsome while high fashion has this x factor that leaves you curious. Commercial models work for clients like Samsung and Coca cola.  Typically people will associate themselves with a commercial model and that’s why it’s used in more common advertising. 

Showing up at a casting it becomes immediately obvious when I don’t fit in. At 185 cm and 78 kg, I appear giant like and even obese next to the high fashion 189 cm and 60 kg guys. My barrel chest of 39.5 inches dwarfs the 34 and 36 inch chest of these boys who are barely men.  Unfortunately this is what clients like for high fashion. This could explain why after 6 years of modelling I have yet to book a fashion show from a casting.  I am fine with this though, I am happy with my body, my size and I have no desire to drop 20 kg. 


These castings can take a very long time as 80 models are asked to show up at the same time.  Right now, modelling is my job and I will continue to arrive on time to them as long as necessary. My point of stress arrives when I miss a commercial type casting (catalogue for jeans) by attending a useless casting.  The last casting of the day was quite possibly as far from my apartment as I can get along the train line.  With poor directions and a unorganized client, I arrived less than happy.  Sitting as number 15, and having 14 long gone I waited and waited. After 2 and half hours I decided “fuck this!” It was 50m down the road the client ran to get me. Apparently my booker called and told them to get their ass in gear. No longer caring about booking this particular job, I explained to the clients that they were being very unprofessional and that they have wasted my time and I am now wasting their time as I would never work for them. 

This is a long story as I am counting 2 days. After the first day of frustrating shenanigans, I decided not to let it get to me, laugh at the situation if you will.

I booked a TVC and had a fitting. The clients were great, I met some co-actors and ran around with a smile. Following I attended a casting to play a surfer getting attacked by a shark. With an espresso in hand I was enjoying life.  

Stricken by time I was afraid I missed a castings. I was not the only one. 2 other models and I met up and ventured to the furthest west we could get in Bangkok to meet the clients. Waiting, waiting, the clients stuck around until 5:30 for us.  A 3 hour trip involving bus, then walking, followed by train, more walking, another train and then taxi we made it.  A quick 15 minute turnaround and one more casting to go.

This venture would send me to the farthest north part of Bangkok, via train and then taxi. Well it would be via taxi if it wasn’t Friday at 8 pm and the notorious traffic jams are in full force.  With no taxi’s willing to take us for less than 400 baht (which may not seem like much, but my most expensive taxi to date has been 200 baht and even that was an hour and over 30 km). With the client refusing to meet us another day, I spent half an hour on the phone with my agent trying to negotiate.


With stress budding, happiness was far from my thoughts. My buddy said lets just go home its not worth the trouble. He was right, the negatives were building and I needed to remove myself from the situation.

Arriving for the model dinner I had calmed down. Laughing at how silly the situation this really was. The stress of Friday was all rather insignificant. In reality I am living an adventure everyday. Few get the opportunity to take these shots and many can only dream.  In the end I am really asking, “is this real life?”



No comments:

Post a Comment