Monday, March 18, 2013

Walking on the wild side



I recently discussed the difference between myself and a high fashion model. Essentially I compared a starving cow to that of a full bred bison, horns optional of course. One of the differences of course is that as a commercial model we typically aren’t called upon to walk. Of course as the contract states and I agreed upon, I go where they say to go. 

Fierce like a tiger, use that confidence and strut your stuff. With David Bowie giving a play by play a cool guy walks down a glittered stage. 

Pop Quiz: How do you make sure you are cool guy?

As previously mentioned I have booked the same number of fashion shows from castings as this guy:

I would like to think its my walk or my goofy face. Unfortunately when you are the equivalent to the broad side of the barn and the other models can be thrown, you get passed on easily. Initially it bugged me. Then I got comfortable with the fact I wasn’t the look and now I have come to embrace that I am not a fashion show guy. 

A list, everyone likes a list, so here is my Bowie (Pro) vs Bieber (Con) list for fashions shows: 

Bowie:
Ziggy stardust, game over. 
You spend the entire day with a bunch of models
Free food after and sometimes drinks (champagne, yes please)

Bieber:
You spend the whole day with a bunch of models
Low pay
Hurry up and wait
Herded into a casting like lamb to a slaughter
Herded into a fitting like moo (another pop quiz… remember what moo means in thai?)
Herded into hair and makeup like a bunch of zombies after they hear a gunshot (been reading the walking dead comics lately)
Castings, fitting, all day at show – a lot of time invested
Does nothing for your portfolio

As you can clearly see that Bieber has a much larger list. This is directly proportionate to his fans under 20 compared to Bieber. The negatives far outweigh the positives. I am not exactly sure where I was going with that. Bieber sucks and Bowie is awesome. That is of course my opinion and any prostitot and tweenie can go suck on a tootsie pop rather than chirp me.  

Reminiscent of a zombie feeding frenzy, there were close to 200 hundred models of all shapes and sizes waiting for this casting. Seriously, 5 ft nothing and 6"4, man, woman and everything in between.

I lucked into baep sib baep or those not familiar with Thai, the lucky chinese numbers 88. 10 at a time we were led into a meat market. Clients feast their eyes (drooling at times) on who they wanted to represent they fine threads on the tiger walk (much more fierce than catwalk). Both Thai's and falang (foreigners such as myself) were there together. These guys had a bad walk down pat. Only one of the 6 thai models actually had confidence in his walk. In their defence I think many it was their first time and they were nervous, kinda like daisy a baby calf.   


No comments:

Post a Comment