Monday, March 4, 2013

Run through the jungle



Skipping over some of the action from recent work, this past Tuesday I found myself in the jungle. Sweltering heat, through dense trees, this Canadian that is built for cold weather dripped lakes of water from arrival to departure. As part of an advertorial for April’s Hommes edition of L’Officiel, their photography, and fashion teams piled into a luxury Lexus van alongside me for our destination.

Just over an hour from the bustling polluted city of Bangkok, the air cleared up. With clean air surrounding me, it was no easier to breath with the weight of a million micron sized water droplets marching over me like a stampede of elephants. Humidity here was quite possibly the highest I have experienced outside of being submersed in water.  With humidity at such high levels, my fears of blood sucking mosquitoes were at an all time high. It must be the birds or the bats in the area because not a single mosquito was to be seen, rather hundreds if not thousands of beautiful butterfly fluttering by.  

The entire team was awesome to work with. While not perfect just about everyone spoke some degree of English which makes communication far easier. Fortunately as well I wasn’t receiving command like “big pose”, “more attitude” or “cool guy”. Those of course are the standards things photographers ask for. For you rookie models, “cool guy” is just smile without teeth.  


Once you get into modelling more, you have your cues. Of course the biggest cue is *click* . The click of the shutter is what tells you to move. Every time I hear that sound on set I know to move. When you move, you literally just move. No thinking, it becomes a flow of eyes, arms, legs and torso any number of directions. Off set, my ears perk up like a dog when a can of tuna is opened. Unfortunately due to the nature of our location we had a generator booming the song of its people (brrrrrrrrrrrrrr). Making due with instinct I continued my flow hoping things would turn out for the best.  

Unfortunately I can’t share any of those photos but here are a few on location and behind the scenes shots.  


No comments:

Post a Comment