Thursday, October 25, 2012

Whoosh!



This sounds pretty much explains the last 24 hours of my life. Sitting waiting, I found ways to keep myself entertained at home this past week. My work visa arrived on Friday, and an email was promptly sent out to inform my agents and to get things rolling.  Of course there was the issue of time change and a weekend.
 
While waiting, I shoveled the walkway of snow, cleaned the kitchen multiple times, and of course went on a few glorious walks with Diesel. I am going to miss that fella. Then Tuesday night arrives. An email with some details, then a phone call, then a final email. At 9 pm Pat and I spoke and my flight was set. By the time all was confirmed through the airline it was closer to 10 pm, I would be departing for Seattle in 8.5 hours (that’s 6:30 am). My father had offered to pick me up and take me to the airport at this ungodly hour. I really appreciated that, its nice to have that support network available, as I know not everyone does.

I guess with your flight leaving soon, packing is usually a good idea, followed by a bedtime snack I finally got to bed at 1:30. Subconsciously I think I knew if I was gassed heading into nearly 24 hours of travel I could sleep on through most of it.  Security and customs were a breeze and took maybe 10 mins total, my beard must not appear very threatening.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr. Okay I don’t know how the lyrics go of the Dash 8 Turbo prop go but this morning was my first experience on such a plane. Every time I closed my eyes however I could imagine the black and white videos you watched in Social Studies and History classes of the B-52 bombers. This little plane delivered me towards a 7 hour layover in Seattle, coffee shop central.

I have never been comfortable with sleeping in an airport terminal (safety wise), so I worked hard to keep my eyes open before I could get my Tokyo drift on during the 11 hour flight to Narita (joke courtesy of dad, followed my many other inappropriate puns related to exhaust). 

Let’s take a look at what I have done to keep myself nutritionally satisfied.

3 am: 2 scoops protein and 2 packs Nature’s Path Flax and Oats

7 am: Clif Bar

9 am (Seattle time so add an hour): 3 eggs scrambled with Dungess crab and Dungess Shrimps, and about 4 little hashbrowns

12 pm: 5 Dark Chocolate Covered Macadamia nuts (my caving to some sweet cravings

3 pm: Slices beef with rice noodles and vegetables and 1 glass of merlot

8:30 pm: 4 pcs of almond cluster crack

My goal of getting sleep has worked out pretty well. My section of the plane is nearly empty so I laid across the 3 seats in the middle and dozed off, first an hour then our meal, and my post feeding 5.5 hour nap.  I have successfully killed 7 of my 11 hours in this plane so far sleeping, not bad.

With 2 and a half hours to go, I am going to immerse myself in Sons of Anarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment