Saturday, October 20, 2012

Crazy Catabolic Carb Complex 2 – The results and wtf happened with Pics







Category
September 6, 12 Results
October 19, 12 Results
Change
Weight (lbs)
172
169.4
-2.6
Fat Free Mass (lbs)
153.3
150.5
 -2.8
Fat Mass (lbs)
18.7
18.9
+0.2
Body fat %
10.9
11.2
+0.3






As you can clearly see, I look leaner physically. As a matter of fact my muscles appear larger. So why is my body fat up, my fat free mass down, lets take a closer look and see what may change these numbers.  And yes I know the lighting and angle is a little different but you work with what you have got.





Body fat percentage I feel like is something worth touching on. My change in body fat % is rather small, a variance of .3% or 0.003. This value based on the % change is 2.75%. Either of these numbers being used does not provide a significant amount of data to be statistically significant. Bummer right, my change is within the percent of error. 

How about that fat free mass now? Well you will notice that both my weight and my fat free weight dropped this time and my fat stayed mostly the same. At first glance it would appear that I lost roughly 2.5 lbs of muscle. With some insight and review of diet over the past week a relatively easy explanation is available.  Right here is where I explain the crazy carb complex.

Geeky science brain is trying to take over but lets take a basic review of carbohydrates. Carbs or CHO (nutrition shorthand) are the most basic form of energy we consume, providing 4 cal per gram, all calories must be changed to CHO before we can use them. By stoking your bodies fire with exercise, it increases your bodies need for CHO. When CHO run out like a keg at a frat party we go to find more hardcore sources of energy. In comes fat and protein, the nutrients get sent to the liver to be converted to none other than CHO.  Still following?

If you are consistently exercising as I have been, your body goes to an extra effort to store these CHO in your muscles (aka Muscle Glycogen). In order to store the extra CHO your body needs to hold onto more water. I can’t recall exactly but it is somewhere to the tune of 3g water for every 1g CHO. 

Fade in and out to a scene of me chomping on salads and asparagus this past week sans rice. Yup I cut out close to 4 cups of complex carbs per day. While I didn’t fall flat on my workouts, the water weight my body normally stores was released. The result a 4 lb drop.

The pieces begin to fall into play now. I lost 4 lbs when I cut out carbs, therefore my lean mass dropped. Since lean mass is muscle, water, bone, hair, skin, etc. I saw a decrease. A decrease in muscle mass is what is known as catabolism (anabolic being addition, catabolic being taking away). My theory being that my body fat should be lower, I felt leaner and looked it, so I decided Friday to experiment with returning my carbs to normal. Not all the carbs were complex, as a matter of fact, I had my first can of pop (A &W Rootbeer) in who knows how long.  Then this morning upon returning to the gym for my morning workout I stepped on the scale, tipping in at 175 lbs.

6 lbs in one day, the only change being more carbs confirmed what I had believed. Dropping carbs didn’t necessarily help burn fat but caused my muscles to hold less CHO and in turn, less water. Obviously fat didn’t increase overnight, so lets look again at those initial numbers.

Fat mass – 18.9 lbs
Today’s weight – 175.6

Normal CHO body fat % - 10.7

While it really doesn’t make a significant difference, it does confirm for me that over the past 6 weeks, I have added 3 lbs of muscle. Unfortunately I didn’t achieve my goal of under 9, I did learn about how my body reacts to CHO and refreshed some of my nutrition vault. I will have to start analyzing my exercise program and see what I can do to tweak it for the better.  

Lastly check out my new shades. They are the Oakley Plaintiff Infinite Heros. 

No comments:

Post a Comment