Monday, October 15, 2012

Mmm Bacon



 I love bacon, honestly who doesn’t? Certain religions, some silly ones like vegetarians, and vegans, or those that refuse to eat red meat (even though bacon is technically a white meat). But Canadian bacon is a breed of its own. So delicious its like heaven coating your palate as you bite in and enjoy this delectable treat. 

While in Toronto I was able to enjoy some treats I haven’t had in a long time or ever had on some occasions, Canadian bacon was just one of those beloved dishes I haven’t had in a while.  At the Brownstone Café, I was able to have a Gluten Free pizza, that was good, although not spectacular. The pizza was far too doughy (which is a surprise for gluten free) and the portion was ridiculously large with ridiculously little topping.

At heart I love a good cocktail and after reading on the in flight magazine a group of us decided to make a stop at the black hoof cocktail bar. My personal taste profile highlights smokey and strong drinks based primarily around Cognac, whiskey, brandy, bourbon and rye. So here I graced my lips with their Boulevardier.  I enjoyed it, but it was far from the list of my favourite cocktails, the long lingering finish left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

A few days later we decided to indulge in the renowned “Bar chef”.  It is easy to walk by this establishment and not bat an eye as from street view there is little more than a black door and curtained windows. Once inside this speakeasy, the ambiance is beautiful and whispers in your ear of a good time. In a class of its own their house infused bitters, syrups and liquor speak to the dedication to a cocktail. Opting for a seat at the bar we were promptly greeted by the bartender with menus as he returned back to shaking. We chose the bar to watch the artists on their easel and it was certainly worth the experience. Both of us enjoyed our drinks, my self diving into a Symphony #5 which consists of gin, vanilla cognac, dill bitters, rosemary syrup, a chartreuse rinse and a orange blossom spritz.  

No comments:

Post a Comment